I've made a choice. It's been a difficult and confusing one that stemmed from the reawakening of myself as an actor. It's one that I am doing for the benefit of both others and myself.
The decision; Photography is no longer my focus.
How is this part of what I am calling, The Giving? Read on.
When I consider a life in photography alone, I see myself creating great work. I see myself spending the time, energy, and analysis to design beautiful photographs that evoke emotion or awe. I see myself taking great portraits, building a studio that can continue to grow and I can gain recognize, get published again, and have a solid career.
That is when I consider a life in photography alone.
The fact of the matter is that as photography is in my life right now, it is unsustainable in its present form. The market here in NY is simply saturated by people calling themselves photographers and headshot photographers because they have a decent eye and a digital camera.
It has been both good and bad for the industry. Actors look around for cheap deals when on a budget - and usually get what they pay for. Dedicated photographers are having to push the envelope to survive, which is furthering the quality of top photographers and changing the way headshots are taken.
For me, I cannot be that second photographer because my real passion is for acting, film, filmmaking, and a career in Hollywood or independent cinema.
I've thought long and hard about this and, coupled with the philosophy of The Doing and, now, The Giving, I've made another big decision;
I am now offering headshots to actors within my circles, free of charge by suggested donation only.
I feel that this change will allow me to do great work for my subjects without interfering with my goals as an actor.
The minor details of this change are being flushed out. But, what I have already decided is that subjects will leave with a CD of the unretouched work within about an hour, there will be no retouching included, and subjects will be responsible for their own hair/makeup and concept design (tell me where you want to shoot, what you want to capture, etc). If subjects wish retouching afterward, I will be available for a small fee per image or they can choose to go to a photo studio like Reproductions.
I'm doing this because I believe in the concept of The Doing. I also believe in the power of The Giving. I trust that, by doing so, I will be promoting positive energy in the community and helping others. I could, perhaps, find actors for my future projects along the way. I also trust that, in some way, it will come back to me. I don't know how and I don't bog myself down much in imagining the 'how?'.
I am simply making a decision based on the selfless concept of The Giving, which I will delve into in future posts, that I believe will lead to a deeper practice of The Doing.
Of course, I need to make a living. So, donations will be welcome whether that's several hundred or just $40 and a coffee. Whatever the subject sees fit is what I will accept into my life.
I am putting into greater practice, The Doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment