It took thirteen months from August of 2010 when I experienced a reawakening as an actor.
Up until that point, I had spent the previous two years evaluating what to do with my life, questioning whether or not I was on the right path. All the while, I was singing in Manhattan while waiting tables, as well as photographing actors' headshots and taking improv. It was improv that led me back to the clarity that I have always been an actor. I am meant to be an actor.
I began the process by purchasing an unlimited seminar package at Actors Connection. That choice would lead me to absorb so much information that propelled me to study with some great people in NY, including top on-camera teachers (including Bob Krakower and Roz Coleman), improv teachers (including Armando Diaz, Joe Bill and Mark Sutton), and respected casting directors. I also spend several months working with Dallas Travers on the business of acting and the attitude we bring to what we do.
In October, I will be taping a show for a major video gaming company as an on-camera host. I'm not certain how much I'm allowed to divulge so I'm playing it safe. The contract I received today is a bit, well, legal so it's confusing. The paycheck is welcome at a time when money is a challenge. And, I'm aiming to build on this booking.
It took thirteen months from that starting point but I got my first well-paid on-camera job - much longer if you consider how long ago I decided I wanted to be an actor, but there has been stage work and short films, small indie films all during that time. I guess I just truly consider the past thirteen months as the moment of my reawakening.
I believe that one of the differences between myself now and myself of the past is that I am now entering auditions with a sense of fun. I am less concerned with my read or my performances and really enjoying meeting the people behind the table. There is so much we don't have control over in audition situations that I think bringing a sense of fun to the process can make a real difference in what we do have control over.
I had stopped worrying about booking the job. I knew, and still do, that it will take time to book work. It will likely come later than I want or need it to come.
Trust in the doing. Trust in the auditioning. Trust in the learning. Trust in the fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment